Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQLDataReader

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenr

Technical User
Feb 21, 2001
GB
Hope this is in the right forum.

I have a page with a datareader which selects data from a database using the select command depending on the username, this then calls the password and checks it.

My problem is that when the userid isn't in my SQL database I get an error saying "no data found".
How can I put a check in so that when there is no data it returns a message?

My code so far is:

dim dr as sqldatareader = strsql.executereader
dr.read()
if dr("password") = password.text then
response.write("OK")
else
response.write("PWord Error")
end if

Code:
dim dr as sqldatareader = strsql.executereader
if (dr.read) then
        'do something
    end if
    response.write("OK")
else
end if

if i understand you correctly... this assumes that by virtue of there being no id, you mean there is no record at all... hth

Thats right, if the name searched for doesn't exist in the table then I get an error, I wanted a way that if it this happens then it tells you politely

another way to read through the datareader is:

[tt]dim dr as sqldatareader = strsql.executereader
While dr.read()
response.write("OK")
else
end if
End While[/tt]

Jason Meckley
Database Analyst
WITF

1 more thing, don't forget to close the data reader! You will get errors if you try to execute other statements against the database

[tt]dr.close()[/tt]

Just a thought, but why not pass the username and password to a sql statement, if the record count of the data reader is > 0 then the user is OK. If it's not > 0 then the data doesn't exist.

If each username and password combination is unique you can use a scalar command which uses less resouces than a data reader. A scalar command can only be used when 1 value is returned. Here is an example:
[tt]
Dim SqlStr as SqlCommand
Dim Valid as Integer

With SqlStr
.CommandType = CommandType.Text
.CommandText = "Select 1 from
where username='" & UsernameTextField.text & "' and password='" & PasswordTextField & '"
.Connection = Cnn
End With

Valid = SqlStr.ExecuteScalar

If Valid = 1 Then
Response.Write("OK")
Else
Response.Write("Access Denied")
End If
[/tt]
HTH

Jason Meckley
Database Analyst