Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQLBase 7.5.1 - Dual Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarcher

IS-IT--Management
Jun 12, 2003
CA
Hello,

We are currently running Visual Manufacturing 6.13 on SQLBase 7.5.1, every once in a while we have to re-boot our server as someone is running reports on the database that spikes the CPU.

Q1: Would dual processors help this?
Q2: Does SQLbase 7.5.1 support dual CPU? Does Visual need to?
Q3: Does the server need to be shut down at all when this type of problem comes up? Or can SQLbase just be restarted.

Thanks in advance!
Adam.

Q1 : No
Q2 : No
Q3 : (a) Just restart SQLBase
(b) While waiting, fix query - high CPU isn't necessarily bad, but with a long execution time generally is. The implied lack of IO combined with long execution time might suggest a poor query design.

SQLBase will clearly run on a multi-processor system (as evidenced by our quad 2.8 GHz machine with 4GB of RAM) but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's taking advantage of the full system resources.

SQLBase is a very low-end RDBMS and I am attempting to leverage its limitations to sell my GM on an upgrade to Oracle (which we're probably going to do anyway when/if we implement Lilly's DCMS). I really hate the lack of support for several features I consider invaluable:

-outer joins to multiple tables (which aren't an option until SQLBase 8.5)
-sub-SELECT statements in the FROM clause
-multiple attribute sub-SELECT statements (e.g. if I want the sub to look for specific combinations of more than one field: WHERE (attribute1, attribute2) IN (SELECT...) )

If anyone is aware of a work-around for any of these limitations, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back