Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL2K @#@$%@ Logfiles 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughed00

Technical User
Jan 15, 2001
US
How do I get the logfile to truncate? I have tried everything (except obviously the right thing).

Actually, everything short of writing a query to do it, which I have not attempted since every gui way seems to fail so my faith in writing the query is low.

I do daily FULL backups, I only have one database, one instance and the stupid logfile is 14gig and has run out of space causing all jobs to fail.

What stupid thing am I not doing? I seem to remember that SQL6 full backups also truncated the log??

I even did a backup of the transaction log selecting the options to have the transactions that have already been written be removed.

PLEASE set me straight. I have month end reports due and can't load my data.

Thanks!

In SQL 7 and 2000, the log will be truncated when backups are done. However, the file will not necessarily shrink. You can run DBCC SHRINKDATABASE and DBCC SHRINKFILE. I suggest reading these articles. The firs one explains how to immediately shrink the log. The others will help you maintain a small log.

faq183-345

Microsoft SQL 7 article

Microsoft SQL 2000 articles

Terry L. Broadbent
FAQ183-874 contains tips for posting questions in these forums.
NOTE: Reference to the FAQ is not directed at any individual.

Thanks, I have "shrunk" file, but it seems to get no smaller. I will give these a read. Thanks again.

Well, it worked fine. Still thought this was part of the backup procedure. I guess it got a bit more complicated as more management features were added.

Will add this so I can keep log in check.

Thanks VERY much,

-- Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back