Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sql2K Invalid Column Name in Stored Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlibeson

Programmer
Mar 6, 2002
US
I wrote a stored procedure and I am getting an error that tells me I have an invalid column name 'FclsA'. Here is an excerpt from my procedure where the error is coming from:

Code:
SELECT DISTINCT ClientId, Account, Famno, ApplSeq,
CAST('FCLSXXXX' AS VARCHAR(8)) AS 'FclsA', CAST('FCLSXXXX' AS VARCHAR(8)) AS 'FclsPrev'
INTO #FCLSLIST
FROM #History WITH (NOLOCK)
ORDER BY ClientId, Account, Famno, ApplSeq;

UPDATE #FCLSLIST
SET FclsA = dbo.fn_GetFclsFromAudit(ClientId, Account, Famno, ApplSeq, ApplSeq, @CutOff),
FclsPrev = dbo.fn_GetFclsFromAudit(ClientId, Account, Famno, ApplSeq , ApplSeq, (@CutOff - 7));

The error is in the update.

Can anyone explain to me why I am getting the error?

Michael Libeson

why are you doing an extra step?

Wouldn't this work?

Code:
SELECT DISTINCT ClientId, Account, Famno, ApplSeq,
dbo.fn_GetFclsFromAudit(ClientId, Account, Famno, ApplSeq, ApplSeq, @CutOff) as FclsA , 
dbo.fn_GetFclsFromAudit(ClientId, Account, Famno, ApplSeq , ApplSeq, (@CutOff - 7)) as FclsPrev
INTO #FCLSLIST
ORDER BY ClientId, Account, Famno, ApplSeq;

Denis The SQL Menace
SQL blog:

I am working on performance issues. So I have many of the steps broken up. I do not understand why I am getting the invalid column name.

Michael Libeson

strange this works for me
Code:
create table #History (id2 int)
insert  #History values(1)

SELECT DISTINCT id2 as 'ID'
INTO #FCLSLIST

UPDATE #FCLSLIST
SET id =2

select * from #FCLSLIST

drop table #FCLSLIST,#History

Denis The SQL Menace
SQL blog:

I agree that it is strange. I thought it would work, but apparently it is not for some reason. What is different about your example test and mine is that I am updating 2 fields, not just one. Also, The fields I am updating are VARCHAR type and not INTEGER. In the original INSERT into the temp table I have place holders "CAST('FCLSXXXX' AS VARCHAR(8))" where you have a field defined from a previous table creation and mine was a SELECT INTO. I do not know if any of this information helps, but I am really stumped. Just another note, I am running it in Query Analyzer.

Michael Libeson

Why are you using single quotes around your column aliases? I've never need to, even with a Select...Into command.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"No, no. Yes. No, I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No again. Are there any more questions?"
-- Xena, "Been There, Done That"

Could it have anything to do with the two repeated ApplSeq?

This is just a WAG, BTW.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"No, no. Yes. No, I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No again. Are there any more questions?"
-- Xena, "Been There, Done That"

The double ApplSeq are just parameters to a function call and would not affect the update.I am beginning to think it may be a bug in query analyzer. I merged the two statements back together in order to avoid the issue for now. Thank you both for trying to help.

Michael Libeson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back