Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL2k 32bit on 64bit Oper System Performance Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

BootMeUp

MIS
May 31, 2000
US
We have installed 64 bit Dell/windows 2003/dual 3.7ghz dual core/16gb ram/sql2k 32 bit. In a controlled sql query retrieving 200k rows, this setup takes 1.8 avg seconds compared to same query on HP/windows 2000/4 700mhz/8gb ram/sql2k 32 bit, which runs in 6.38 seconds avg. Both use 10k rpm disks.

Technically, the Dell has 8 processors. Being 64bit oper system, architecture, it should run circles around the HP - but obviously not. Anyone have this experience, ideas, tuning ideas?

Baffled in Boise

Your 64bit machine is running faster, so what's the question? The Dell has 2 processors which make up 4 cores and 4 virtual cores. This is different that an 8 processor machine. At low load you won't see the difference between machines with 4 cores and 4 virutal cores. At high CPU load (over ~60%) you will see that the virtual cores can't do as much work as the physical cores.

From what I have seen the 64bit servers do not do basic operations as fast as the 32bit servers do. They do advanced math much faster, but your basic insert, update and deletes are much slower. There is a thread around here somewhere that I present some data. I'll try and find it for you.

You may get slightly better performance if you put x64 version of SQL on the x64 hardware.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Here is the thread I was talking about where I've got the x86 vs. x64 performance data thread183-1170932.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back