Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL2008 Out of Memory Exception Thrown

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolCook

IS-IT--Management
Mar 7, 2003
US
Hi:
I know this is a general type of question but here goes. I am running a large query (over which I have no control - don't even have the code) that populates a database. I am using SQL Express 2008 and have tried this on an 32-bit XP Pro SP3 single processor machine with 2GB of memory and an 32-bit XP Pro SP3 quad with 4gB of memory. The same data works fine at another office with a 2gB machine although I can't get any details. I do know that it takes 3 hours to run to completion there and I get close to the end and I am at about an hour and a half. I have stripped down Services and Startup to the bare minimum (not even antivirus). I have Boost SQL Server Priority checked and Maximum Server Memory set to whatever the machine has. The query gets to close to the end and throws an System.OutofMemoryException at System.Data.Commons.StringStorate.SetCapacity(Int32 capacity). After stripping things down, I do get further but it still abends. Is there some other peformance tune I could throw at this thing?
Signed,
Sleepless Nights

As Markros suggests, the real problem is almost certainly the design of your query, this is what needs to be fixed.

I wish I could but the code is proprietary and I am under agreement not to divulge it's contents. I was looking more for general tips on optimizing SQLEXPRESS because since it runs fine on a machine that is comparable hardware-wise, I'm left to believe it must be something to do with a SQL or machine setting.
Thanks for responding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back