Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL2005 - Exception cannot open backup device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolCook

IS-IT--Management
Mar 7, 2003
US
I get this message with a routine that is running a restore. The 2005 instance it is restoring to uses mixed mode authentication and an 'sa' login with password. The message says that the routine cannot write to a temp file located in c:\documents and settings\<my user name>\local settings\temp\<filename>. All of this is located on a single workstation - no separate server, no remote access. I even tried creating a Windows user called 'sa' that was a computer administrator and logging in as that user but that didn't work either. From what I read on the internet, this has something to do with rights but I can't figure out which ones.
thanks in advance

Answered my own question - shared out the TEMP folder and allowed users to change and that did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back