Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL2005 64 bit page file question

Status
Not open for further replies.

csmeutah

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2005
US
Can someone explain to me why sql uses a pagefile when it has ample physical mamory available? Does 64 bit use memory diferently?

I'm showing 6 gig available out of 8 gig total and yet SQL is using 1.7 gig of VM.

Server settings:
Use AWE NOT marked
min = 0
max = 2147483647
index create memory = 0
min memory per query = 1024

TIA

Do you have Standard or Enterprise?

Standard edition will still page data to disk as it needs to get more current information from disk into RAM.

Enterprise Edition will make use of the lock pages in memory setting which should prevent SQL from swapping to disk. Standard edition ignores this setting as it's an Enterprise Edition only feature.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Yeah, it's standard so I guess that explains it.
If that's normal should I worry when the VM climbs to 8gb?

Thanks for your response.

If your VM starts to climb that high, I'd consider more RAM. How large is your database? How large is your buffer cache? How many objects are in your buffer cache (and what percentage of the objects are in cache)? Of the objects in cache of these which are your most commonly used objects?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back