Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL2000 Restore Error 8603 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeGR

Technical User
Jun 20, 2002
AU
Hi everyone,

Having a bit of a problem with my SQL backups on Arcserve 2000. The backup runs smooth and returns no errors.
When I try to do a test restore, I get errors.
I went in and viewed via Session, opened the session for one of the databases, then tried restoring to it's original location.
It keeps failing because: "e8603 Failed to write to database. (DBNAME=xxxxx, ec=Backup agent error - (63) "Backup/Restore is cancelled.")
I checked server admin and the SQL account is sa, with the correct password. I'm not sure why it lets me backup it up, but not restore the f*****ing thing!
One interesting thing, was that under the sql data\data folder when looking at in the restore window, I could not see the databases which were backed up.
The arcserve log shows that the databases were backed up, but I just can't get a restore to work.
Can anyone help??? I'm tearing my hair out here...

Mike,

I would like you to contact me on this issue at your convenience. Please provide me with your contact information and that I engaged you at this forum.

Warm Regards,
Jim Harrison
Computer Associates
james.harrison@ca.com

Hey chkpls,

Thanks for the quick reply...
I tried to use that doc you referred me to. Only one problem...Even though I have the agent installed on my server, all the options to do with the agent within arcserve are greyed out. I tried re-installing it, but no luck there either...Is this some sort of permissions thing? I mean, I set it up with the "sa" login security, so I can't see it being that...Any other ideas? Thanks in advance...

There's a bug in Arcserve. I could never do a restore back to the original location. Uncheck that box under destination and drill down to your Network and select the lcation where you want to restore it to. That has always worked for me.

There's a bug in Arcserve. I could never do a restore back to the original location. Uncheck that box under destination and drill down to your Network and select the location where you want to restore it to. That has always worked for me.

Yeah I tried that earlier and got error e3022 No valid destination...No matter where I try to restore it to.

Have a look in the directory where the SQL agent is installed, by default c:\dbasql. There is a file called dbasql.log. Scroll down to the date and time where this happens and see if has complained about getting exclusive access to the SQL database.

We had this recently and I think the solution may be to stop the SQL Server service, do the restore and start it again. NB ** I have not yet tested this out so I would proceed with caution at your own risk.

I notice CA have invited you to get in touch. Might be worthwhile running this past their support dept before you try anything.

I'm not sure why people on here complain about CA support. They sorted me out in under a day and were very knowledgeable about their product.
The problem was the way I was trying to restore the database. For any other novices out there, let me break it down for you so you can benefit from my experience.
When restoring, don't restore to the original location. You need to uncheck the "restore to original location" box and then append the name of the database after \\servername\dbasql@mssqlserver. This drops it on top of the live database (or you can give it a new name by right clicking the database and choosing "Backup Agent Options" in the source window)and it doesn't return errors. Also always make sure you are using an account with appropriate rights to both SQL (prefereably the sa account) and your server (usually local or domain admin account)

Also, I forgot to say...Make sure you're updated to Service Pack 3 as well!

Also, I forgot to say...Make sure you're updated to Arceserve Service Pack 3 as well!

Mike,
Just a basic thing...you need to install sql agent on the sql server and if sql version is 7 then apply servcie pack 2 on it and then reinstall the sql agent then move to arcserve manager and select the restore by session and pick
the database for the restore and right click the mouse and see if the backup agent options come up and then start following the doc...as said earlier.
Thanks just check it man

Will do. Thanks for your help chkpls, and everyone else...Much appreciated.

Dear Guyzzz,
I have tried all the above steps but i am still facing the problem.
Can anybody help me out ???
Regards,
Rishi
91-9813011112

Rishi,
Whats the error buddy? I think, you are missing something somewhere?
Go thru the doc again for sql agent (sql.pdf in cd)
Thanks Happiness is a daily decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back