Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL2000 and IBM iSeries connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maritime

MIS
Jan 11, 2001
TT
Hello,
My company will be implementing a new iSeries IBM Server, in a few weeks. We currently run a SQL 2000 Database that copies data from our current AS/400 each day. The ODBC driver used is called STARSQL and came bundled with SNA Manager 3.0. I am concerned as to whether this configuration will continue to work with the new iSeries and if not, which ODBC driver will I need to have my SQL 2000 database connect to the iSeries.
Thanks in advance.

Client access for iSeries comes bundled with it's own ODBC driver. I'd recommend loading it on the machine which makes the sql calls to the iSeries. Then you can do ODBC over IP.

I do it currently for our web servers to access iSeries data. Some are Win2003 (I personally hate M$) and I also loaded unixodbc for Linux. It works fine also.

Pretty much, if you have an ODBC client, you should be able to access the iSeries. Of course SNA might be a problem with newer versions of OS/400. That I can't answer.

Mark

Hi Kozusnik,
Thanks so much for the assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back