Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triedit

Technical User
Mar 9, 2001
GB
Can anyone tell me anything about SQL and converting a Paradox database to it?

Thanks

Triedit,

Well, SQL isn't really something you convert Paradox to, for Paradox tables are a database format and SQL is a language used to perform queries and maintain a variety of database formats.

SQL is more analagous to QBE than it is to Paradox itself.

To convert a Paradox database to a different database, you need to determine the database format you wish to use and then convert the data and other database objects to support that format and the client tool you'll use to create forms, reports, and other end-user objects for that format.

For an idea of the underlying process, have a look at which dicusses the underlying tasks from the point of view of converting a Paradox database to Interbase or Firebird (its open-source sibling).

As far as I know, there are tools that can help you move the data, but there are no tools that convert forms, reports, and other Paradox document objects to another client.

Hope this helps...

-- Lance

FYI

Paradox 8.0 has a built in SQL tool that will allow
complex SQL statements to be built & run against the Paradox tables.

It's amazing how often a thread appears at just the right moment. We are also looking at moving to SQL. The link posted by Lance was very helpful to me. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back