Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlas

Programmer
Sep 20, 1999
US
How do I share a file to run queries, the file is on a network server and I can only run the query on one pc in the office. If i try on another pc I get the message "file access denied".<br>
<br>
Need help thanks

As far as I know you have to be the Admin. or be the owner of the object or have Admin. priveledges to be able to share the directory that a file is in. I would try using Explorer to drill down to the directory, right click, select sharing, set up a share and add the permissions.

The message &quot;File access denied&quot; is also displayed if the file is in use by another user. Based on what you are trying to accomplish, this may very well be the case.<br>
<br>
The root cause in this scenario is that the file is opened exclusively. There are several ways to &quot;fix&quot; this; any of these will work:<br>
<br>
* put EXCLUSIVE=OFF in your CONFIG.FPW<br>
* in Tools/Options/Data, uncheck the Exclusive checkbox and save as default<br>
* issue the command SET EXCLUSIVE OFF in the Command Window, or within your program<br>
* when opening files via the USE command, use the SHARED clause (this generally won't help you with SQL Select commands, however).<br>
------------<br>
Raza<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back