Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Works very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorg32

Programmer
Jul 10, 2003
BE
Hi,

I have a client who's SQL Server goes every afternoon very, very (!) slow.
He has 2 GB RAM to work with.
Everytime I reset IIS + Reboot the MSSQLSERVER everything works fine, untill the next day......

When I take a look in the Task Manager the sqlservr.exe gives for the MEM USAGE : 1,260,000 K and VM SIZE : 1,528,000 K (!) and this after I rebooted it after 30 min.

We put on every table specifique indexes and this works fine for all our other clients, but not for this one.

Does anybody have some extra trics(?) or tips to solve this problem?

thanks for helping me.
J.

If it ihappening at the same time everyday I would look to see whether there is a scheduled job running at that time. Doing a large data import during work hours could considerably slow up a prodcution database.

Aslo you could run profiler during the time period and see specifically what is running thenn that is so slow. That would give you an idea of what queries or stored procedures to look at to optimise. Especially look at whether any cursors are running as they are terrible for performance.

Performance tuning is a quite complex subject, I suggest you get a book on it. There are many many things which could be casuing this problem.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874
Click here to help with Hurricane Relief

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back