Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL transaction load

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilntruong

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2003
US
Hi all,

I am running SQL 2000 and IIS 6.0 on two seperate Windows server 2003. Each server has a 2 dual core Xeon processor 3.0 GHz. Internal LAN 1Gb/s.

Question:
I just integrated an AJAX component on one of my web page. What the component does is query SQL every 5 seconds. On average I would have about 100 web page open. My SQL server would run at 70 transaction/sec. Is that too much? Will my SQL server die if maintained at that level? What should I be concerned about?

Thank you all in advance

SQL can handle well over 70 transactions per second. It's more important to know how complex the query is, rather than how many transactions.

If the query is very complex with a very high CPU or IO requirment then the box will feel it. If the query is very simple then you could probably run several hundred at a time with out the server feeling it.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back