Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL to Oracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLScholar

Programmer
Aug 21, 2002
GB
Hey all,

I have a new job i am starting in October.

I have good SQL 2000 and a little 2005 experiance in both utilising and managing SQL.

However my new job will also require me to use\manage Oracle, which I have never even looked at before. They are fully aware that i have never used Oracle - but i sugguested i am happy to learn.

So my question.... How portable is my knowledge with SQL to oracle? Am i going to find it easy\hard to learn?

I am planning to download Oracle express over the weekend - will this give me a good overview, or is it too cut down?

Many thanks

Dan

----------------------------------------
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes - EW Dijkstra

you're going to "use\manage" Oracle

you will find the "use" part easy, because both SQL Server and Oracle use SQL, and the variations are minor (albeit frustrating)

however, the "manage" part is like a whole nuther world

r937.com | rudy.ca

r937 is right. I went through a very similar situation a few years back. There are some minor variations between SQL and Oracle in syntax. However, the management part is hideous. It cost me a lot of beers, but I had good help from those around me. The long run was a major payoff. Being able to put SQL AND Oracle on my resume have been a major bonus for my career advancement.

"If I were to wake up with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now.

Thanks for the advice.

Do you have any recommended sites to help learn the management stuffs?

Many thanks

Dan

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes - EW Dijkstra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back