Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL timezone question

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf11

Technical User
Apr 10, 2003
US
Here is my situation. I have dates for transactions that are stored in the db. These dates are in GMT (greenwich mean time) and i want to convert the dates to EST(eastern standard time) or EDT (easter daylight time) according to the date. If the date occurs in February, i want a query that will automatically convert the date to EST. If the date occurs in July, i want to automatically convert it to EDT. The problem is that i need to run a single query over large date ranges and need to good way to convert the date for each record. The NEW_TIME function will not work because i need to know what timezone (EDT or EST) i want to convert the date to.

Does anyone know of a function that takes a date and general timezone (eastern) as an input and outputs the correct timezone (EDT or EST)? Or does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks for the help!

MSF,

If I were in your position, I'd write a user-defined function [maybe called Chg_TZ() ], which would act similarly to the Oracle built-in, NEW_TIME, but would also check for date ranges to determine if "standard" or "daylight" time applied, and return the proper time-zone appellation. You could also cause your function to properly accommodate Arizona and the parts of Indiana that do not observe typical time-zone rules. Additionally, you could build accommodations for the MANY time zones worldwide that Oracle does not cover; Oracle NEW_TIME parochially accommodates only North American time zones, plus GMT.

You may try to combine NEW_TIME with DECODE (or CASE). You may also create function-based index on the result expression or update your existing column.

Regards, Dima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back