Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL syntax for VBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaAnthony

Programmer
Dec 17, 2003
AU
The following code works fine because I explicitly reference "[Forms]![Main Page]![Program]"

Code:
strSQL = "SELECT * INTO " & strUserTableName & " FROM [Current] WHERE [Program] = '" & [Forms]![Main Page]![Program] & "'"

The PROBLEM is that I actually want to define a make-table query based on my recordSource as the following SQL statement shows:

Code:
strSQL = "SELECT * INTO " & strUserTableName & " FROM [" & Me.RecordSource & "]

In this case the "WHERE" condition has already been predefined (including the syntax) based on an existing permanent query.

To combat this and not get "run-time error 3061: Too few arguments. Expected ...", I tried to use some code found at
Code:
strSQL = "SELECT * INTO " & strUserTableName & " FROM [" & Me.RecordSource & "]
Set querydef = CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef(strUserQueryName, strSQL)
If Me.RecordSource = "Current (Program Search)" Then
    querydef![Forms!Main!Program] = [Forms]![Main]![Program]
End If
CurrentDb.Execute querydef.Name

I added a 'watch' on both 'querydef![Forms!Main!Program]' AND '[Forms]![Main]![Program]'.
They both have the correct value before I try to execute the query.
Unfortunately though, I STILL get "run-time error 3061: Too few arguments. Expected 1"

Can anybody help? I've done loads of searches in google and on this and other forums but nobody seems to have a problem with my specific case!

Thanks,

Joshua

Joshua,

Why not do all of this in vb?

rollie@bwsys.net

I was! :) It works perfectly when I do it manually. The PROBLEM occurs when I use the VBA code that I posted above.

I've actually been shown a good way around my problem that works (on another board):

Code:
Dim strSQL As StringDim strTbl As String    
strTbl = "myusertable"        
strSQL = "SELECT " & Me.RecordSource & ".* INTO " & strTbl & " FROM " & Me.RecordSource & ";"        
docmd.SetWarnings False        
docmd.RunSQL strSQL        
docmd.SetWarnings True

Joshua,

Do a Msgbox on strSQL! I believe you will find you do not have what you think. For instance, you have, I beleive, TWO not ONE "SELECT" statements combined.

rollie@bwsys.net

Yes,

strSQL = "SELECT * INTO " & strTbl & " FROM " & Me.RecordSource & ";"

works fine.

Rollie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back