Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL String vs Separate SELECT Statements

Status
Not open for further replies.

grnzbra

Programmer
Mar 12, 2002
US
There are, out in the field, several versions of an EXCEL workbook which contractors use to enter inventory. Before they begin, they are supposed to check for the latest version, but most don't. The differences are in the nature of more fields appearing in later versions.

My first step in processing these workbooks is to bring each worksheet into a corresponding table in a SQL Server holding database. The values in the various fields are then distributed to the appropriate tables and fields in the working SQL Server database.

At the moment, I am using SQL strings with IF statements to include or exclude the presence of newer columns in the INSERT statements. Would the processing would be more efficient if, instead of using the SQL string processing, I used the IF statements to route the processing to the appropriate individual INSERT statements?

Perhaps. The best way to see how a computer performs is to do testing. Try it each way.

==================================
advanced cognitive capabilities and other marketing buzzwords explained with sarcastic simplicity

Thank you. Guess that's the way to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back