Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL String Parameter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnDT

Technical User
May 1, 2006
US
Good Afternoon,

I am having a little trouble trying to figure how I write this query to accept User Input. I want the user to be able to type in the in year (2008, 2009 etc). The query does the search and it is brings back the data. I am using MSSql 2005 reporting Service
<Code>
select 'Phase 3 Proposal' As Activity, PlanOrigin, [1]+[2]+[3]+[4]+[5]+[6]+[7]+[8]+[9]+[10]+[11]+[12] as [Total Sent],
[1] as 'Jan', [2] as 'Feb', [3] as 'Mar', [4] as 'Apr', [5] as 'May', [6] as 'Jun',
[7] as 'Jul', [8] as 'Aug', [9] as 'Sep', [10] as 'Oct', [11] as 'Nov', [12] as 'Dec'
from (select 'Phase 3 Proposal' AS Activity, PlanOrigin, Month(DateToPresale) as MonthNumber from vwSales
where Year(DateToPresale)=2009) as MyTempTable
pivot (count(MonthNumber) for MonthNumber in ([1],[2],[3],[4],[5],[6],[7],[8],[9],[10],[11],[12])) as MyPivotTable
<Code>

I have 2009 in there as a default to return the data.

Where does the user "type in the year"? Do you have a frontend app, or are you expecting the user to use Query Analyzer?

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Me neither.

The front end app is Reporting Services. They should be able to in a text box type in the parameter and then hit view report.

D'oh! I dont use reporting services. If it were VB or VBA you would capture the contents of the text box in a variable,and use the variable in your SQL string. Sorry for my unfamiliarity with MSSql 2005 reporting Service!

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Me neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back