Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sql statement syntax help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattl72

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2002
US
Hi all

I'm having problem with a difficult SQL statement I am trying to create a recordset on. I get a "compile error: Expect expression" when I try to create it. Can someone help me with the syntax?

Here it is:

"SELECT [Item No] FROM [Bin Master] WHERE (([Bin Master].[Primary]) = True) and (([Bin Master].[Bin Loc]) = " & "'" & Trim([Forms]![Bin Master Form]![Location]) & "'" & ")" and (([Bin Master].[Item No]) = " & "'" & Trim([Forms]![Bin Master Form]![ITEM_NO]) & "'" & ")"

I have traced it down to the fact that I have/need to two double quotes in the string. Is there anyway to get this to work? I have a couple of other forms that need a similar statement so any help would go a long way.

Thanks in advance,
Matt L

the string probably truncates after the end of line bit:

Trim([Forms]![Bin Master Form]![Location]) & "'" & ")"

Thus,

Try this:

"SELECT [Item No] FROM [Bin Master] WHERE (([Bin Master].[Primary]) = True) and (([Bin Master].[Bin Loc]) = '" & Trim([Forms]![Bin Master Form]![Location]) & "') and (([Bin Master].[Item No]) = '" & Trim([Forms]![Bin Master Form]![ITEM_NO]) & "')"

Try this format to reference vba strings:

strSQL = "...(Where [myField] = '" & strField & "')"

rather than,

strSQL = "...(Where [myField] = " & "'" & strField & "'" & ")"

...less code = less probability of accidental mistakes.. :)

Chers,
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back