Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL statement searching for times between

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitli

Technical User
Feb 19, 2004
TR
Hi all, I am trying to write a SQL statement that will return results that fall into a cewrtain time frame.

The problem is if I have times such as 10PM and 4AM, the result will be 4AM to 10PM, which is not what I want. Any idea how to fix this

something like this will not work if the time1 is 10PM and time2 is 4AM

Select * from meetings where time_ between time 1 and time2

will get me the meetings happened between 4AM and 10PM, same result with "<" or ">" searches too.

what does your table look like. Do you have two fields in a single record: Time1 and Time2

we need more details about your structure, what you are trying to do and from where the time criteria is being supplied.

leslie

O.K I will be more clear.

I have one time field the database, if I want to get the records falling into a specific time range I write something like following.

Select * from table1 where time_field between a_time and b_ time

Works fine till I pick times such as 10PM and 2AM. When this is the case I get results representing 2AM to 10PM, much larger period of time than 10PM to 2AM.

that's because you are spanning two different DATES when you are looking for times that are after a PM and before an AM.

Leslie

The between function will only work when the beginning date/time is less than the ending date/time values. Because you are not designating a date with your time entries it is assuming that they are both the current date.

EXAMPLE:
Code:
Between 5/14/2004 10:00 pm and 5/14/2004 2:00 am

This example will be looking for records between 5/14/2004 2:00 am and 5/14/2004 10:00 pm.

Bob Scriver
[blue]Want the best answers? See FAQ181-2886[/blue]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back