Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL specific guidance for possible training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dausa67

Technical User
Oct 1, 2008
US
Hello,
I work in our Supply Chain Group at work and build many of the reports that are used by our department. I have Oracle SQL Developer on my PC and have taught myself how to build basic queries using SQL. I currently also use Crystal Reports and Access 2003 in building many of the reports but I understand that I could build more dynamic reports with less limitations using SQL. Our training budget will finally allow me to take a 3-5 day training class to improve my SQL query building skills.

MY DILEMMA
There is only one instructor led class in my immediate area but it is for "Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012" which teaches T-SQL. I was told by a person who works in our MIS department that I need to take "Oracle Database 11g: SQL Fundamentals Course" which is not available in my immediate area. (I would ask the person in MIS that I asked before but he is not available to discuss).

QUESTIONS
If I take the class learning how to build queries using T-SQL, will I even be able to use it to build reports in Oracle SQL Developer?

Thank you for any advise.

Clay

Learning T-SQL will not help you with Oracle - two different beasts.
you would only be learning stuff that you would go and try and Oracle and be unable to use.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

I disagree somewhat. While there are procedural language differences between T-SQL and PL/SQL, I believe there could be good benefit in attending the T-SQL class. And there are cross references (SQL Bible for one) that show how to translate one language into another. I will say, however, that as someone who has worked extensively in each, but almost never at the same time, I sometimes use the wrong syntax by mixing and matching the capabilities of the two languages. That said, there are several concepts in each extension to SQL that are unique to that version. For instance, the power of the Oracle MINUS query and the Oracle CONNECT BY are unmatched in T-SQL. And there are things that can be done direcly in T-SQL that require temp tables or a very complicated query in Oracle. It's a double-edged sword, and as long as you're aware of that aspect, you can have success in both environments with being completely fluent in both versions.

==================================
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back