Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJZeak

Programmer
May 3, 2008
CA
Sorry SQL newbie alert

May have over complicated this (shot myself in the foot) ... have several tables (Dtl<n>) which are filled automatically from a WebSite Form (XML). These tables have both a common set of fields and unique set of fields. Wanting to unify all tables in one Access Form so created a table (Lnk) that links these together via 2 of their common fields

Table(s): dtl<n> common fields are:
FID TEXT (web site form id)
TID TEXT (web site transaction id - unique across forms)
TDATE TEXT DATE DD/MM/YYYY
TTIME TEXT TIME HH:MM:SS (HH = 00 - 23)
UID TEXT (User ID)

Table: lnk fields are:
LID Text = (FID + "-" + TID)
LStatus Text = "Pending, Cancelled, Processed"
LNote Text
PID Text "Process ID"

To get any DTL lnk I use the following Query which works fine
<code>
SELECT * FROM lnk Left JOIN dtl<n> ON lnk.lid = (fid + "-" + tid)
order by lstatus DESC, tdate DESC, ttime DESC;
</code>

What I am looking for is a way, with the Schema's I have, to possibly create one query that just lists:

LID, Lstatus, LNote, PID, LUID, LDATE, LTIME

My expectation is this requires multiple joins such that the lnk table fields always show but only the dtl<n> table fields that the match lnk.lid = (fid + "-" + tid) will show ... I am thinking that this might be achieved with left joins ... but ... its never been clear to me if the subsequent join(s) are attached to the "ROOT" table (lnk) OR if each join is to the previous joined table. (reading the remaining working links to one of the SQL Join FAQS would infer that Joins should be subsequent ... sorry been spoiled by 20+ years of PROGRESS 4GL where table joining always seemed straight forward

<code>

Select lnk.lid, lnk.lnote, lnk.lstatus, lnk.PID,
(dtl1.uid + dtl2.uid + ... + dtl<n>.uid) as LUID,
(dtl1.TDATE + dtl2.TDATE + ... + dtl<n>.TDATE) as LDATE,
(dtl1.TTIME + dtl2.TTIME + ... + dtl<n>.TTIME) as LTIME
FROM lnk Left JOIN dtl1 ON lnk.lid = (dtl1.fid + "-" + dtl1.tid)
Left JOIN dtl2 on lnk.lid = (dtl2.fid + "-" + dtl2.tid)
Left JOIN dtl<n> on lnk.lid = (dtl<n>.fid + "-" + dtl<n>.tid)
order by lMID
</code>

can this easily be done with one query without having to redesign the schema and or writing a function that returns MID by looking up each dtl<n> association

Thanks in advance

Your link table should have 2, distinct foreign key fields: FID_fk and TID_fk.
Now you can join tblForm.FID on tblLink.FID_fk and tblTransaction.TID on tblLink.TID_fk, rather than concatenating them.

P.S. This should be in the MS Access {Tables} or {Queries} forum.

ATB,

Darrylle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back