Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Sever Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncgis

MIS
Apr 9, 2004
US
I was wondering if anyone else has had the following problem, and if so, how they fixed it...

First, I noticed that SQL Server Agent was not running..so, I tried to restart the service..but it would stop immediately after I clicked on Start.

Next, I noticed that I could not create any new users and that I_USER account was missing

Last, it seems that the sa password had been changed

Thanks for any advice

From what you are described someone has taken over your server. You need to lock down your server and review the security logs to see if someone has broken in. It looks like someone has.

Do you still have sysadmin rights to the SQL Server?

For the SQL Server Agent, check the account settings that the Agent is trying to startup under. Make sure that they correct for the domain account that it should be starting up under, then try to start it again.

If you don't have sa rights any more you'll need to find someone who does, and have them give you back admin rights. If everyone has lost thier admin rights, you'll need to google for a SQL password cracker. It will take time, but it will be able to break into the sa account on the SQL Server.

What SQL Version and service pack are you running?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(Not quite so old any more.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back