Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Service Startup Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2001
US
This server used to be part of a cluster but that's removed. The drive E is on a SAN. Anyone seen this ..
Thanks.

17050 :
initerrlog: Could not open error log file 'E:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\log\ERRORLOG'. Operating system error = 21(The device is not ready.).

Ashley L Rickards
SQL DBA

Open MyComputer on the server. Can you see the E drive? If not, neither can SQL Server.

What account does SQL Server use for the services?

-SQLBill

Yea it's there and online. It seems when rebooted and starting up that sql service can't see it. I then have to manually start the sql service. It uses a domain account.

Ashley L Rickards
SQL DBA

When what is rebooted? The SAN or SQL Server? If it's the SAN, that's normal...SQL Server is coming up or already up and doesn't see the SAN, so it's not there. You then need to restart SQL Server services (as you found out) to see the SAN.

Solution is to only reboot both at the same time. That's what we do.

-SQLBill

Reboot the sql box .. the SAN I assume is alway's up. I guess this covers some networking issues .. but the server initialize the logical drives first before starting other services? Thanks.

Ashley L Rickards
SQL DBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back