Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sql service manager can shutdown remote service

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikky

Programmer
Feb 7, 2002
US
We have 2 SQL servers running. Server 1 is sql 2000; server 2 is SQL 7. A vendor setup Server 2 and also installed a copy of the SQL server and SQL server service manager on the desktops of the clients that attach to server 2.

I was surprised by this, but for some reason, they say they have to install the MSDE desktop engine on the client's pcs for their application to work.

My problem is, that the SQL Server Service Manager now appears in the client's system tray, and if you click on it, it gives you the option to start or shutdown not only the local SQL service running on the desktop, but also Server 1: and these clients should not have access to shut down Server 1.

How can I configure the first server so that the SQL Server Service Manager on the client's desktop does not give them the option of stopping the Server 1 service ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back