Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2000
US
Hi,

Can the SQL server that is used by SMS 2.0 be used by other application beside SMS 2.0? I read somewhere that once the SQL server is assigned to SMS 2.0, no other application can use that SQL server.

thanks
;-p

We are using SQL 2000 and SMS 2.0 and use the SQL server for many other applications apart from SMS. No problems so far!

But during the installation of SMS and when it prompts to install SQL for you, there is a sentence stating that this SQL server is for SMS use only. Does anyone care to guess?

thanks
;-p

I know that Microsoft reconmend that the SQL server is only used for SMS but is some places that is not cost effictive. I have a SMS server with SQL 2000 SP2 installed on it as I have a few other SQL servers around for our other applications.

I have run the SMS database on another SQL server and it does run ok. The performance is effected by the network and the number of requests that SMS tends to make to the SQL server.

If you move the SMS Database off the local machine SQL Server, you can not move it back.

Our SQL for SMS is on a separate server to the SMS server which was configured before installing SMS. Ther have been no performance issues (both servers are on the same bit of LAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back