Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server Webspace

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmc

Programmer
Feb 1, 2001
GB
Does anyone know if its possible to develop for, and administrate an MS SQL Server database supplied by a webspace provider as part of their host plan, WITHOUT owning a copy of MS SQL Server?

The ones I've checked out require Enterprise Manager which is only available as part of SQL Server software (as far as I know)

'ppreciate any help!

If you mean that you are renting the DB space from them..then yes...but the solution is to build a management framework thorugh ASP pages to allow access to most of the function that you will need. Security becomes the prime concern here, so limiting the access to those pages from a specific IP and Passwords protection is important.

Also the best thing is to do your datamodelling with as many variables in mind to prevent the need to go into the database to correct / adjust the tables.

I have done this for project that I am working on and I have set things up so that only certain people have access to the database and have the correct permissions from the DB adminstrator to make any changes.

hope this helps

bastien

has A hosting plan that includes MS SQL server access and you have the ability to you the SQL Enterprise Manager to maintain you DB, Stored Procedures, triggers and etc.
Wayne Sellars

"Programming, today is a race between software developers, striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe, trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, Universe 1 - Programmers 0."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back