Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server vs Oracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

yikes

MIS
Oct 28, 2001
US
Can anyone tell me any advantages of using SQL Server over Oracle? We are having a rather large database being created that will have millions of records and files constantly being imported and exported daily. The main system that will will be importing and exporting files from is a Oracle Database. So we are a little confused as to why the consulting firm chose SQL server over Oracle, when cost is not an issue. The only thing we can think of is that they are not familiar with Oracle, and the deadline is only 2 months away. Are there certain types of databases that SQL server is not the best choice for????
Thanks! I hope someone can help me really quick! I only know Oracle and may be losinga job if i cant convince them to swithc back to Oracle!

Hi ,,,

A discussion like this turns religious sometimes, but, generally sql serv7/2000 will perform just as good as Oracle -if you have robust hardware.

The problem is that some people compare sql performance running on cheap less powerful hardware to that of oracle running on expensive powerful hardware.

Make sure you have enough CPU/memory and the correct RAID level running on fast SCSI hard drives and you'll do just fine.

Good luck

Salim

Hi,
Have you looked at

This is the database industry benchmark organization and they offer bench mark results of all the database vendors based upon industry accepted bench mark criteria.

There are various bench marks trying to give guidence to people implementing database for specific purposes.

TPC-C ( on-line transaction processing )
TPC-H ( ad-hoc, decision support.)
TPC-R ( business reporting, decision support.)
TPC-W ( transactional web e-Commerce.)

Now since these are industry benchmarks they may or may not represent your environment.

You can look at the various vendors and how they fair against each other and on which platform they run the best. You can also look at how they perform on your amount of data.

100 Gigabytes
300 Gigabytes
1000 Gigabytes ( 1 Terabyte )
3000 Gigabytes ( 3 Terabytes )

Another to consider in implementing your database is how much you expect your data to grow over time. Maybe you will start with 100 Gig initially and then next year add enough data to reach the 300 GIG plateau.

If you look at the TPC-H bench mark at 1 Terabyte or above you will notice the field narrows to a slime number of vendors.

So make sure you consider growth of your database as you design it an pick a vendor.

You might want to visit....

much to my amazement when I first went to this site ( while I was composing this response ) it is sponsored by my employer...

Teradata, A division of NCR.

hope this helps

tdatgod

You can order a FREE fully functional copy of Teradata for windows 2000 ( only limit is 1 GIG database ) including most of our client utilities and some example databases and applications at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back