Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server to Web Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

IForgot

Programmer
Mar 20, 2002
US
First, I have used the Keyword search and did not find an answer, so I'd appreciate your insight.

Background
We have the SQL Server running within my company's server.
We have a DSL connection to the Net.
And we have our website hosted by an outside web hosting service.

Goal
To get the SQL Server tables accessible to an ASP running within our website.

Question
How?
What do we need to do in order to make the SQL Server (and its tables) "visible" to the ASP?
Do I need to set up IIS or something else?

As always, your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
I_Forgot

Hopefully you have a firewall. Allow access to port 1433 from your ISP web server's ip address. That port should be forwarded to you SQL server internally. Then from within the ASP you just access the sql server by IP Address. For example here is a typical connection string using ADO.

conn.open "Provider=sqloledb;Data Source=10.1.1.5;database=dbname;User Id=user;Password=pwd;"

Just replace 10.1.1.5 with your ip address.

If you don't have a firewall or are not going to limit access to just the one web server then make sure you are running ALL the latest service packs and security updates. You don't want a worm to get you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back