Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server Timeout Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

PieMan

Programmer
Aug 9, 2001
GB
I have an app. developed in VB6 connecting to a SQL server 7 back end.
There are 12 users entering data into 2 tables constantly and occaisionally, another user runs reports based on data in these tables.
It seems that when the reports are being run, all 13 users experience 'Timeout' errors and this then seems to take 30 minutes to clear. At which point normal service is resumed.
The network engineers have ruled out busy network and overworked server hardware.

Does anybody know if SQL Server 7 could be causing the problem and a possible solution.

Also, I have just found out that the customer has changed from using NT Authentication to allowing all 13 clients to connect as a single SQL Server Authenticated user i.e. 13 clients all using the same username and password.
Could this be part of the problem??

Thanks for the help

PieMan

How long does the report query take to run?
If it is taking 30 minutes that is probably your problem, also how is the query being run? Is it locking the table?

The security change probably had no effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back