Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server tables backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashaziz

Programmer
Feb 9, 2001
GB
I am going to reinstall my sqlserver 7.0 but i need to take backups of my databases (There are 2 of them with 30+ tables in them) can i take backup of table structure only so that when i reinstall sql i have to only import it. Please help!

Dear Aziz ;
AOA
Yes , you can take backups if your SQL server is working properly before reinstalling it. If it is working then please right click that database which you want to save and then go to ALL TASK option and then select the Backup Database and then follow the wizard and give the path other other than the Default Folder of MSSQL7. After Reinstalling it you can restore that Backup easily.

There are few other methods to save your data and Structure.

1 - Export your Tables to Access and after reinstalling your SQL Server import the mdb of those tables from Access.

2 - Generate SQL Scripts of those tables using ALL TASKS option and after Reinstalling you have to create a new Database and RUN that SQL Script in that Database using Query Analyzer.

3 - Non-Professional Method :
When you create a New Database , SQL Creates two files in it Data Folder named 1- (Your Database Name).mdf for Data and 2- (Your Database Name).ldf for Log.

GO to C:\MSSQL7\Data folder and then Copy those two files of each database and when You will have reinstalled your SQL Server then Create a new database of the same previous name and then go to Data Folder and Overwrite those files with those files which you copied.

But , please make sure that the SQL Service is STOP to copy those files.

Regards,
essa2000

I try use SQL 7.0 backup but can not save to another server other than x:\mssql7\backup. Did I do something wrong?

No , you are not doing someting wrong . Actually , It showes only drives on Servers. To do it you have to copy the backup files explicitly.

essa2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back