Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL server setup 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

disturbedone

Vendor
Sep 28, 2006
AU
Although I've worked with Microsoft servers for quite some time I'm a little unsure when it comes to the best practices for SQL with regards to disk configuration etc.

Current setup (no idea who set it up):
W2K3R2, SQL2K5SP4, 3GB
C:\ for OS, no pagefile
D:\ for data, custom pagefile initial 3GB max 3GB
Hosts vCenter 5 database and a couple of small app DBs

W2K3R2, SQL2K5SP2, 4GB
C:\ for OS, custom pagefile initial 576MB max 1152MB
E:\ for data, no pagefile
Hosts finance software app & DB

Proposed consolidated setup:
Single server W2K8R2, SQL2K12
Host all databases (vCenter, finance, other apps etc)

Any advice on the best setup is appreciated.

Things to consider. These are NOT mandatory only points to look into.
-Have data and log files use different drives.
-Use different schemas for each group (besides the database).
-The more memory the better.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

To add to djj55.

- Its not just about the separation of disks, but the disks involved and how they are set up. I would have at least SATA drives on a RAID 10 configuration. Speed of disks is also important so good SATA drives - or if you dont need much space, and have a little cash SSD`s.
- SQL 2012 - do you know its not officially released at this moment in time. Its currently on Release Cadidate 1. The virtual launch event date is March 8th 2012 - but the release date is yet to be announced.

----------------------------------------

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Bernard Baruch

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes - EW Dijkstra
----------------------------------------

Also if you backup a database on 2005 you can restore to 2012 however not the other way. (At least it is that way in 2008).

djj

Thanks for the advice.

We're virtualized with VMware vCentre 5 using NetApp FAS3210/DS4243 storage that has 24x 2TB disks (not sure of type) in a RAID6 (I think) configuration. So it's not quite as easy to pick and choose disk speeds etc. But Given that setup I don't think it'll be an issue.

SQL2K12 was just a thought but it's not supported with the finance database so it'll be 2K8.

Installing SQL Server on a virtual has its own set of problems. I would suggest you Google for white papers on how to setup. We are running 2008R2 successfully on a virtual with the main problem being we had to set the max memory in the SQL server properties as it would conflict with the system causing a memory dump.

djj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back