Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server Service Pack 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

zephyran

Technical User
Nov 30, 2001
US
I'm getting ready to install Service Pack 2 for an existing SQL Server 2000 installation on a Windows NT 4 Server SP6a box. However, I'm once bitten, twice shy, with MS's patches and service packs, having struggled for a few weeks fixing my Exchange server after a bad patch.

Does anyone know of any problems with the service pack, or any steps I should take before hand, outside of backing up the individual databases? It's typically difficult to find information on ways that patches/SPs break your software until it's already broken, and I'm trying to avoid that. Thanks!

Well, if anybody sees this later and is interested, I did the Service Pack installation. It went perfectly smoothly, and has been running perfectly for over a week now. I didn't even have to re-enter any security information (which I was afraid I'd have to do).

Be careful with installing any Service Pack specially when you previously installed some hotfixes. We had a lot of problems before in xp_sendmail that we even discovered a bug where Microsoft did a hotfix. We are not sure yet if the hotfix was included as part of SP2 so we're not taking the risk.

Be sure you have a log of all problems that you encountered before and how you came up with the solution. In case that these problems will go back again after installation, it would be easy to talk with a Microsoft Support guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back