Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server Permission problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

phweston

Programmer
May 8, 2003
Hi,
I am currenlty set up as a Db_owner on a SQL Server 2000 DB. I have a windows user group set up datareader and datawriter as well, where they do not have permission to delete data from a 4 or 5 tables in the db. They have full permission on the remainder of the tables.

For some reason, I cannot delete data from these same tables, even though I am set up as the db_owner, and have set up permissions to allow my self to do so.

I am using Windowns verification to log onto SQL Server.

Any ideas what the problem is.

Is your db_owner login a windows login or SQL Server authentication login?

Are you a member of the Windows Group that is read/write only?

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

We are all set up using Windows authentication, including myself.

The users with the read/write priveleges are set up through a Windows group.

I am set up as an individual user in SQL.

I am willing to bet that since you use the same login as both the Windows group and a SQL Server authentication login, that SQL Server is reducing your access to the lower of the two.

I would:

1. remove your login from the Windows group
or
2. Create a separate SQL Server auth login with DB_OWNER.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back