Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server on Windows Small Business 2003 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyarmion

Technical User
Dec 23, 2008
AU
I am developing a Contacts Database application for a client, initially I used MS Access as the database, but I would now like to port across to MS SQL Server. The client's server is running MS Windows Small Business 2003 Server, which appears to have SQL Server 'built into' it.

However, I cant see SQL Server Management Studio on their server. Does anyone know if it comes with Windows Small Business Server 2003? Is it there but just not setup? Or do I need to download and install it? If I do download it, will I run into SQL Server version problems? As the version of SQL Server included with their Windows Small Business Server 2003 must be, at the latest, 2003. Whereas SQL Server is now up to 2008R2. Should I update SQL Server on their server to the latest version before I go looking for Management Studio?

Thanks.

if you have SBS 2003 Premium edition you have licenses to use SQL Server 2005 Workgroup edition.

If it is the standard edition you will not have those licenses and will need to buy them yourself.

Also if you install any other version other than 2004 workgroup on SBS 2003 you will have a configuration that is not supported by Microsoft.

full info at
Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back