Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server Mix of Full and Express Versions? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjefferson

Technical User
Oct 8, 2001
US
We have numerous instances of SQL Server 2005 on our network, and have the Management Studio installed on our workstations. I have some testing and development work I'd like to perform, and wondered if it is possible to install just the SQL Server Express edition on my workstation, without the Express version of the Management Studio. That is, just the database server with no other features.

I suspect the answer is "yes" from what I have been able to search out, but wanted to touch base here in case anyone knows of any conflicts that might occur, or if installing the Express database server might overwrite something I don't want to lose.

Thanks for your advice. Let me know if I haven't provided enough information about what I hope to achieve.

Yes. You can install just the database engine on your workstation without installing the management studio. In fact, when you download SQL Express from Microsoft's website, it doesn't include the management studio. Management studio express is a separate download.

You can use your existing management studio to manage the express instance locally.

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Thanks, George. This is what I had surmised but it really helps to have outside confirmation. I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back