Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server Hosting Requirements 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaport

MIS
Jan 5, 2000
US
I am moving my existing asp.net web site and sql server to a hosting environment. I am trying a couple hosting companies. Please advise whether I am on the right track.
The hosting service provider should
1. Allow the database access through connection string (asp.net), this is basic;
2. Allow remote direct database access (through Windows ODBC Data Source Administration), so I can access the database through SSMS or even an Access database (linked tables);
3. Allow create a backup automatically on a schedule and the backup file is downloadable.

I did not find any hosting company allowing me to upload a database backup file and then restore it as a new db on the hosted server. So I have to use "Microsoft SQL Server Database Publishing Wizard" to create a big script, which will create the new db on the hosted server.

Seaport

1. Everyone will let you do that.
2. Most will not let you do this. It's a security risk to allow people access to the server via the Internet.
3. Most should let you do backups and download the file.

Most if none will allow you to specify a file that they didn't generate and restore it to their server. Doing so is a security issue.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Site

Denny,

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the second bullet, what is the safe way to access a hosted sql db? I tried MS Azure SQL. It allows ODBC connection but has firewall rules limiting the IP addresses that have access to the db. Is that a safer way?

Yes that would be the safer way. Only open that firewall up to the IP address that you use to manage the system, and close the firewall when you are done connecting to it (if you have a static IP there is less risk in leaving it open all the time).

As long as your database will fit within the SQL Azure size limits and the feature limits it sounds like SQL Azure will fit within your requirements.

Denny
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Site

If I use shared hosting, I cannot control the firewall. Is there any other "safer" way that a hosting company can provide?

Nope. If the hosting company allows you to connect to the SQL Server directly and the firewall allows everyone to connect, then attackers can also connect.

Denny
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Site

Thanks Denny,

I think eventually I will move to a dedicated server. Right now the only thing I can do is to frequently change the database password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back