Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server ???? Express Editions Distribution & Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auguy

Programmer
May 1, 2004
US
I'm developing a small commercial application and I would like to use a free database that is easy to distribute and install on the user's computer without my assistance. Mostly concerned about ease of installation on the user's part. All of the tables will be really small. I was thinking of using one of the SQL Server ???? Express Editions. Can someone comment on their experiences with distributing any of these versions? Also open to other DB's if they are similar to SQL and are really easy to distribute.

Auguy
Sylvania/Toledo Ohio

Of course you can do that!!! I am experienced on something similar. You can include to the deploy project sql server componets. The only disadvantage to that is that it will take much longer for a user to install it if he doesn't have installed sql express server on his computer because without install it your programm will not work because when you write your code you specify the provider of the db so it looks for that provider in case of sql server. I suggest to create your db in access and manipulate it in your source code via sql queries so you can experience both of the and you have the advantage of the installation.

Thanks, I was hoping for more of an overview of how difficult it is to distribute one of the SQL express versions assuming the user does not know anything about SQL or how to install it. More of a one click to intsall from the user's stand point.

Auguy
Sylvania/Toledo Ohio

I have found that SQL Server Express is somewhat difficult for non-technical people to install. Maybe SQL Server Compact would work for you. I haven't used it but it sounds like it might have a seemless installation of both the program and the database.

Tom

I keep trying to do something about my procrastination but I keep putting it off until tomorrow.

Tom, Thanks for the info. I will check it out.

Auguy
Sylvania/Toledo Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back