Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server error messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby1977

Programmer
Sep 8, 2000
RO
Hello,

i'm working with T-SQL stored procedures and i am interested in obtaining the formated error message from sysmessages when a constraint violation occurs. i can obtain the error message using a select from sysmessages table based on the number of error i received through @@ERROR, but the string is not formated and looks like "Cannot insert NULL in table %.*ls, column %.*ls". Is there a method to get the complete string ? Thankx in advance!

Hi There Bobby

Have you tried using the FORMATMESSAGE function ?
You can use this function to display the message with the parameters replaced by actual values.

Here is an example taken from BOL ...

Example:
=========
This example uses a hypothetical message 50001, stored in sysmessages as “The number of rows in %s is %1d.”
FORMATMESSAGE substitutes the values Table1 and 5 for the parameter placeholders. The resulting string,
“The number of rows in Table1 is 5.” is stored in the local variable @var1.

DECLARE @var1 VARCHAR(100)
SELECT @var1 = FORMATMESSAGE(50001, 'Table1', 5)

Hope this Helps :->

Bernadette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back