Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server Database versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

primagic

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2008
GB
Can I attach a database created in SQL Server 2008 R2 Express on SQL Server 2005. I tried attaching a database and it came up with error 661 - wrong version?

Yes. Wrong version.

The best way to do this is to reattach to 2008 R2, script all the database objects (tables, procedures, etc...), create a new DB on 2005 and run the scripts. Then export data from the 2008R2 db and import to 2005.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Can't you set the compatibility level to 2005 and then detach from 2008 R2 and attach to 2005?

--------------------------------------------------
Stubbornness is a virtue -- if you are right. --Chuck Noll

Can't you set the compatibility level to 2005 and then detach from 2008 R2 and attach to 2005?

No. Once you attach a DB to 2008R2, the structure of the MDF & LDF is updated to the new version. Compatibility mode is for functionality within the DB, not the structure of the DB. This is a common misunderstanding that a lot of people have.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

ah... understood... thanks for clearing that up.

Stubbornness is a virtue -- if you are right. --Chuck Noll

I think I will just install 2005.

thanks for your advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back