Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sql server database sitting on 244MB on C: good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

homerunkevin

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2002
US
Situation:
Our database server call “SQL server” is running C: drive with capacity with only 4GB and only 544MB left. Unfortunately, there no more software or data to delete to create more space. D: drive currently have around 131 GB and is storing sql server database.

Pros for having bigger C: drive?

What are the ways to increase C: drive space? What can be the consequences?

Here are some of the ways to deal with is.
1. Use part ion magic 8 to resize c drive. I heard some people have success and some not. What might be the consequence? Corrupt data. Sql server(database server) might not be working properly. Track IT(our help desk software) will need to reinstall?

2. Image C drive and reinstall Window 2000 server? SQL server would need to reinstall. Track It would also need to reinstall.

Appreciate your input.

Thanks,
kevin

Best regards
Kevin Z
Techncial Support specailist

Moving SQL database to your D: drive would be my vote. Only takes a few seconds. Get all users off, detach database, move files to D: drive and attach db. You are then done.

Tim,
Yes, Sql server database sits on D drive. however we fear that C: drive is low on space it might be bad on performance wise

Best regards
Kevin Z
Techncial Support specailist

Sorry goofed, 544 is probably fine, make sure you where your tempdb database is not on c:, if it is monior it's size. We have about 800 as average on our servers, you should be fine.

If the Datafiles are stored on D drive then the only times C drive would have a performance impact would be if your System is using the PageFile how large is your page file? If the system is paging due to memory issues and your pagefile isn't large enough then you will see a hit. You would also see a performance hit if you TempDB is on the C Drive and a lot of work is being done in TempDB.

Check to See if memory is an issue.
Does the Server have enough for the work it is trying to do?
Is enough Allocated to SQL?
In my opinion memory is something you can never have to much of.

If Temp DB is on C you may want to add a 3rd drive set and put TempDB on it.

Also what are the Raid Types of the drives? Raid Type and number of drives in the Raid can affect performance.

An Admin I used to work with had a good method for server configuration.

C: Raid 1 OS and Apps Only
D: Raid 5 using 3 disk, 5 disk, or 7 disk sets Data
E: Data/Temp (if Temp Raid 01)
and so on.

For larger Databases you can break it down even further and place logs, indexes, tmpdb, and data on drives optimized for your specific needs.

"Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!"
- Daffy Duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back