Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server CPU fan fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

latitude800

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2006
US
I currently running SQL server 2000, sp3a, dual processor Intel 3.4 Gig each. The SQL server is dragging and its running 100% CPU, 150 GIG hard drive. We have about 10 small databases running on the box totalling about 15 GIG. I found the the temp.db file is getting very large, even thought I moved the temp, skrink log files, after 25 minutes the temp.db grows back again. The CPU is always running to a full capacitiy 100.
WHen I checked the event viewer in windows I have noticied that the CPU fan failed, open the server and one of the CPU is not working.
Question: Do you think the one of the CPU fans is causing the SQL server to run very slow, up to the point that is very uneffective? Please I appreciate your suggestion..

Regards,

Jimmy

Well, a CPU fan being down can cause all sorts of problems which can cause your entire box to crash. Whether it is directly related to the SQL Server issue or not is another question all together.

I suggest you grab a CPU temperature guage and find out how hot your CPU is. Hot CPUs tend to cause serious issues. Regardless of whether or not it is the cause of SQL slowing down, this hardware issue MUST be resolved or you're going to destroy your server.

If the failure of a fan isn't causing your CPU to go over optimal temperatures (go to the website of the CPU manufacturer to see what they list as the temperature tolerences), then you should run a Profiler session to determine what other possible issues could be going on. And a Windows trace to see if you have bad I/O, RAM or other things.

There is a PC hardware forumn (General Discussion) here that can get you started on troubleshooting your bad CPU fan. Take a look at it and so a search on failed CPU fan. I'm sure you'll find lots of good information to help you out.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"The only stupid question is the one that *wasn't* asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back