Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server Cluster config 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul172

Technical User
Feb 20, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have recently setup SQL Server 2000 using Server 2003 Clustering services. The two node servers have dual processors. I have setup the clustering service in an Active/Passive configuration, with the SQL service assigned to one of the groups, so if node1 fails the SQL duties are passed to node2.

Now the Question...when I goto the properties of SQL server, in the general tab, SQL is reporting that it is using 4 processors. Under the processsor tab all 4 processors are ticked and the 'Use all available processors' is selected. I purchased 2 x 'Per processor' licenses, thinking that setting up the cluster in a A/P config would cover me. So do I have to actively untick the 3 and 4th processors from the properties menu? Seems a strange that the onus is on me to change this.

Thanks,
Paul

Mr Denny wrote a very nice faq's on this subject. Have a look, I think it will answer your question.

faq962-5153

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Ok, reading between the lines, regardless of what SQL tells me, if I have it set to Active/Passive, I'm covered.

Thanks,
Paul

The third and fourth processors that you are seeing would be the typerthreaded processors.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Ahhhhhhhh...I see, should of realised that myself! Slap on wrist!;)

Thanks,
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back