Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server Backup Duration

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty1stop

Programmer
Dec 30, 2004
US
This feels like a stupid question, but is there a way to determine the runtime of a database backup in SQL Server 2005? I am looking at the SQL Server logs and I see a record that states the backup was started but can't tell how long it takes.

Thanks for the help.

Matt

Right click on the job, select View History. Scroll to the right and you will see a column for Duration. That's the overall length of the job.

Now, click on the + next to the job. That expands the steps.....scroll right to Duration and you will see the duration for each step in the job.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

If you are manually doing the backup add the stats flag like so.
Code:
backup database MyDB to disk='c:\MyDB.bak'
with stats=1
Switch to the messages tab after you start the window. When the number 1 appears check the run time of the query. Multiply by 100 and that's about how long the backup should take.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back