Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server and RED HAT LINUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyFutureRoute

Programmer
Dec 5, 2002
GB
Hello

I'm using an SQL server on Windows NT 4.0 SP6, but need to access it via some method, from my Program which is running under Linux (RedHat). Does any one know an easy way of doing this? i.e. hoe to setup an odbc?

Cheers for any help

Andy

Hi Andy.
If the data you need to have on Linux side application should not be as current as possible, then you can use the following workaround:
1.Create an export .csw or fixed length file from as many tables in SQL server as you want (you can even make it scheduled to produce this files in some intervals)
2.Do automatic copy or FTP that export data file to Linux box.
3.Import that file to your Application or if it is odbc complient: make connection to the data file.
By scheduling export processes on SQL server side and on cron FTP on Linux box your Linux Application will have as fresh data as often you will have intervals in your sheduled process.

Sincerely,
Rosti

[lightsaber]

Rosti

Cracking idea, and somethig I will be trying in the future for another part of this project i am working on.

For the momment tho I installed somehting called easysoft ODBC-ODBC Bridge, so i can connect to ODBC Sources on a windows machine and run sql queries straight from my linux application.

Thanks again

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back