Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server 6.5 run improperly

Status
Not open for further replies.

konglo

Programmer
May 18, 2002
HK
Dear all,

One of the SQL Server 6.5 (in WinNT platform) in my company do not work properly. Perhaps there is a wrong database server setting:
In order to run a large job (e.g. SELECT or UPDATE statement of over 1 million records), I enlarge the "lock" setting in "Configure" option to its available maximum value, i.e. the maximum value that depends on "memory" setting. After reboot the server, however, no connection can be made to the database server. In other words, the connecting process is pending ... make the Enterprise Manager hang. Besides connecting process, all other activities made on the database server do not work, include configuration checking and restart, etc. I also find that the database server is still running, no sudden stop.
I am afraid that almost all system memory assigned to the database server is occupied by the "lock" setting - not enough resource to run other activities. How can I solve the problem? Can I change the settings manually by script or in file?

Please help me. Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Stephen

change you lock setting back to the original setting and then gradually increase until you have a workable amount of memory. Bear in mind that the memory allocated to SQL should still leave 128mb for the operating system to run. The amount of memory that can be allocated to SQL varies depending on the version you run i.e. the enterprise version allows you to have more memory allocated to SQL that the development version. I hope this helps a bit. If once you have found a workable memory allocation your system does not run your query quickly enough it may be worth trying to tune your query and any indexes it may use. Failing this stick more ram on the server or buy a better one ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back