Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sql server 2008r2 connectivity issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

niall5098

IS-IT--Management
Jun 2, 2005
IE
Hi All,

I have installed sql server 2008r2 with all the features onto a new windows server 2008r2 box.

an applictaion vendor has since come in and tried to install their app. they are recieving the following error when running through the application setup wizard:

SQL server client tools is not isntalled. the component is requiered for <db name> connectivity. Please install sql server client and run this wizard again to complete the configuration.

i ahve checked the client and its fine, i even created a test odbc connection which ran successfully, and ensured that the tcp\ip protocol was enabled. is there something that i am missing?

Thanks in advance.

When you said you "checked the client" what do you mean? On the server do you have management studio and the rest of client tools installed?

Dan

----------------------------------------

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Bernard Baruch

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes - EW Dijkstra
----------------------------------------

HI Dan,

thanks for the response.

yeh the SSMS is installed and i checked my install documentation and the client tools sdk is intalled.

Are they doing a version check? It could be the version you installed is different than what their application is looking for. Or it could be a different component that is missing (profiler, BIDS, etc).

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Another thing to check....where is their application expecting the client tools to be installed? When you did the install, did you accept the default location or did you change where they are located?

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

the VerspecificRootDir key was pointing to C:\Programfiles\Microsoft SQL Server, chagning to the E: drive resolved the issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back