Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sql Server 2008 Replication Agent message code 20084

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kliot

Programmer
Jan 10, 2003
US
I replaced a computer at a remote location (Computer R) and I can no longer get replication to work with my local server (computer L), computer R is running windows 7 Professional with Sql Server 2008 R2, the computer it replaced was running Windows Server 2005 and Sql Server 2008 R2. Replication worked perfectly on the old computer across a vpn connection. The server it is connecting to is running Windows Server 2008 and Sql Server 2008 R2

Both computers can connect to each other in SSMS and can configure replication with no problem, when I run the subscription I get the error "Agent Message Code 20084. Could not connect to Distributor." I know this has something to do with the VPN connection because if I connect the computers locally on a lan replication works perfectly. I also have computer L setup as a publisher and computer R as a subscriber and replication works perfectly across the vpn connection it just doesn't work the other way.

Any suggestions before I pull out all of my hair would be appreciated

I am going to assume this is a pull subscription. Have you tried configuring this as a push subscription? One other silly question: Is the distributor a different machine/instance from R and L?

Thank you for the response, yes I have tried both pull and push subscriptions with the same result. Not sure what you mean by "Is the distributor a different machine/instance from R and L?" The distributor is computer R and the subscriber is computer L

Can this be a permissions issue? Do the SQL Agent accounts have rights to log in to the other machine? Alternatively, when you set up replication, you get prompted to supply a user to handle the replication. If this was set up, what rights does it have on either machine?

connecting through a vpn - are the 2 computers in this case on the same domain? and is the vpn connection allowing the required ports in the direction you need? e.g. it may be blocking out but allowing IN so it would fail in one case, but allow on the other

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Computer L is on a Domain computer R is on a WorkGroup, Nothing has changed with the VPN connection so all necessary ports should be open, this setup worked perfectly before I replaced Computer R. There may be something on Computer R "Windows 7 Pro" that is not allowing the connection but I sure can't find it, the firewall is turned off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back