Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Server 2008 publish data to web quick and dirty

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRinTetons

IS-IT--Management
Jul 4, 2001
US
I need a way to publish the results of a query to a web site. The data doesn't need to be formatted, it doesn't need to be pretty and the web site exists. XML output is OK.

I don't need a finished product, just the data available at a URL.

-
Richard Ray
Jackson Hole Mountain Resort

What I do is have an Excel ODC file on the Web site. It contains a call to a procedure that populates the spreadsheet.

But I have more questions than answers. Is this supposed to be ad-hoc? Do you want to pull the data from the server, or push it from the data server to the Web server? Plenty of ways to skin this cat.

-----------
With business clients like mine, you'd be better off herding cats.

No interaction required. I've got data from remote weather sensors stored in a SQL db. I just need to get the most recent readings from each sensor from each station up on a web site for other sites to use. I've got an sp that selects the data I want to present. I just need to get that output onto a web page.

-
Richard Ray

FWIW, here's the site that I'm trying to replace. Nothing wrong with this except that it was done by someone else and he left no docco, so I can't troubleshoot problems or add features.

Travel and skiing web sites use this data in their own presentation.

-
Richard Ray

So no interpretation is needed. For a purely SQL Server solution, I would create an SSIS package that spits out the XML and copies/FTP's it to the Web server.

-----------
With business clients like mine, you'd be better off herding cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back